Malaysia Financial News
Easier said than done, but here’s a place to start: http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20131025184425-40729475-so-you-want-to-compete-against-amazon
Malaysia Financial News
Easier said than done, but here’s a place to start: http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20131025184425-40729475-so-you-want-to-compete-against-amazon
Never tried some serious reading on the Kindle, until I purchased the first book. And then I purchased another one. And another one…
At the time of this post, I’ve just read 4 books in a span of 3 weeks on the Kindle. And I can say it’s one of the best gadget investment after my mobile phone.
1) Amazing battery life
2) Books are way cheaper
3) Easy to carry when traveling
4) Built-in dictionary
5) Ability to search for any words within a book (if you are reading dead-wood editions, good luck!)
6) It even uses the same Samsung smartphone charger!
If you’re a voracious reader, get one today.
Financial consultants and investment product brokers work very hard every day to drill into their clients’ mind the importance of wealth accumulation. However, a disproportionate amount of that drilling and hammering is focused on the types of wealth accumulation products, rather than the strategies.
Last week, a very successful ‘wealth accumulator’, a school teacher from Cheras, shared with me 2 phrases that he has kept closed to his wealth accumulation strategy and here they are:
1) åªæœ‰è¿›æ²¡æœ‰å‡º – Only In’s, No Out’s
2) æœ‰å¤šæ²¡æœ‰å°‘ – More, Never Less
These 2 phrases are translated literally from the Chinese language, and it has a zen-like quality to it.
The school teacher has applied this strategy since he started working 30 years ago, and he is still using it today.
In the first phrase, he emphasized that you should be very strict on the direction of your cash. Once you’ve allocated this amount to your wealth accumulation plan, you must never withdraw it, UNLESS, in his very own words, “You are going to use it for a productive purpose”.
Once you get into the discipline of accumulating a tiny portion of your income, you should be able to see your effort growing and your only logical response to this revelation is to increase your accumulation volume and hence directly increases the rate of your accumulation.
In my experience, accumulating your wealth without a good financial blueprint, even with the best financial products, your results will not be as spectacular as compared to having a clear idea of what you really want from your investments. It’s your job to be as descriptive and precise as possible when you are communicating your investment philosophies to your financial consultants to see if their services matches your requirements.
Keeping it simple, I hope you get something out of it. I know I did.
Sir Richard Branson, the renowned British industrialist is coming to KL next month for the Dawn of the New Decade â€“ Alternative Investments in Asia forum.
Here’s the press release on the event, thanks to Elya of GoComm.com.my on the note.
KL TO WELCOME SIR RICHARD BRANSON FOR LANDMARK FORUM
Kuala Lumpur, Monday, 9 August 2010- Richard Branson, founder and Chairman of the Virgin Group, requires little introduction – few people are as internationally well known, fewer still as universally liked and respected. The entrepreneurâ€™s entrepreneur, inspiring business leader and fearless adventurer Branson is an ambassador for the â€œcan doâ€ attitude.
The famously goatee-ed Englishman comes to Kuala Lumpur in September to participate in the Dawn of the New Decade â€“ Alternative Investments in Asia forum. This event is being staged by the venerable International Herald Tribune in association with the London Speaker Bureau. The forum is the first of its kind to be staged in Asia and it will feature more than 15 leading luminaries in the field of finance and investment. Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak will be giving the official key note speech at the event which takes place on 27 and 28 September in the Renaissance Hotel.
Branson will be giving his eagerly anticipated special keynote speech on the opening day of the forum. The billionaire is expected to outline his thoughts on the current investment landscape and on the growing importance of Asia. As the head of Virgin Atlantic Airways he has a particularly relevant perspective on the airline industry, however, as the owner of 360 other companies the depth and breadth of his experience is virtually peerless.
Recently turned 60 Branson began his life in business at the tender age of 16 launching a magazine called Student. By 22 he had a chain of successful record stores. There followed the airline, the mobile phone operator, a railway, a healthcare company and even a space tourism company. He is now worth an estimated US$4 billion. His philanthropy is as famed as his trans-continental balloon voyages.
Attending the two-day forum will be over 1,000 delegates from across the region including some leading bankers, investors and fund managers. They will be hearing not just from Richard Branson but also from Mary Buffet, daughter in law of Warren Buffet, arguably the worldâ€™s most successful investor. The other speakers will include Anil Gupta, renowned expert on Strategy and Globalisation; Dr Fang Gang one of China’s most influential economists and Augusto Lopez-Claros, Chief Economist with the World Economic Forum.
Invaluable opinions, predictions, advice and speculation will be shared at this seminal event. It will be extremely informative and, of course, a gilt-edged networking opportunity. It is to be noted that this is a regional event that will be heavily publicised throughout the IHT and worthy of further note is that Malaysia was selected as host above some strong competition.
For more information about the forum including a full list of the speakers, the programme and details of how to book tickets please visit www.invest2010.asia
Issued on behalf of the London Speakers Bureau by: GO Communications Sdn Bhd. For further information kindly contact:
Mobile: +6016 971 1580 / 03 7710- 3288
Mobile: +6017 366 2277 / 03 7710- 3288
Mobile: +6017 433 8189/ 03 7710- 3288
This is an interesting collection of scams from a forumer in LowYat- Stopscam007.
He highlighted a few common scams that are constantly victimizing the innocent out there, but you can rest assure that these are just the tip of the iceberg. Some ‘legit’ pyramid schemes are even allowed to list on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange, so what do you say to that?
Anyway, if you think you would like to protect the money in your wallet and to prevent those hard-earned ringgit from evaporating in schemes like these, the following compilation by Stopscam007 will be a good read.
1) The Cafe Scams – Island Red Cafe & Stevens Corner(strange, both in Pandan Indah) – Island Red Cafe collects members RM6,000 each and promised 5% return every month and even give you a name in the ROC as a shareholder but what’s the point when they run away ? Stevens Corner, the famous indian coffee shop follows due to drop of business since their renovation. They collect RM3,000 per member and promise return of RM150 monthly and plans to open nice fanchisee cafe called StevensTeaGarden. Someone mentioned they will make you sign an agreement that give them the rights NOT to pay you anything in future. If you really wish to join, ask for a copy of their agreement and consult your lawyer BEFORE paying them. Bet you will NOT get a copy. Both collect monies from new members with MLM recruitment schemes and pay the old members like Sunshine Empire. You never know when they will run away.
2) Sunshine Empire – This licensed and legal Company has an impressive office at the ground level of KUB building along Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, near Menara Public Bank and AmBank Building. They also have a showroom office at the ground level in the next building. 2 or 3 months ago, Singapore’s Straits Times and The Paper published big news reminding their people to be careful and NOT to believe in them. Hope someone can put up the link or google for it.(As expected, they STOPPED paying back members now and all investors LOST their money).
Someone below has put a link to the Singapore news. In fact there are more to it. Although Singapore is investigating them, they did not stop their business as the business is legal and so far, no Singaporean have failed to receive their commissions as promised. Thus, the government cannot stop them yet.
The news published that the founder, director and group president is someone named James Phang but he is NOT the owner. Isn’t this quite strange ? At the end of the game, James Phang can just disappear from the Company easily and claimed that he was just “employed”. Such trick always happened in scam businesses.
Now, the Company has STOPPED paying commissions and interests to members with the excuse that the Singapore government has freezed their bank account while under investigation. Do you think their boss will be so stupid to keep much monies in the bank to be freezed ? They are all transfered away. It’s just an excuses not to pay back to members and members are only paid “e-bonus-points” which is cashless. If they wish to convert to cash, they have to recruit new members to pay them cash and the recruiter less out trom the amount. So victims act like Vampires and “forced” to victimise other victims if they wish to get their monies back. And their victims will later transform to vampires and the scam carries on…..
3) MOBILEWALLET – This Company owned by 2 young men, Stanley & Rey Gan, office in Queens Avenue Park has collect multi-millions the last 2 years. Claimed that they tied up with Telekoms, Utility Board payment like Water & Electricity bills, even Maybank got fooled by them. Advertisement Billboards everywhere. They STOPPED paying back their members few months ago and the members cannot do anything because they are made to sign an agreement unaware that they have to claims if the company stopped paying them by CHANGING terms and policies.
4) Water businesses – Oxygenated and alkaline water products – Some of these are bottled water and some are filters or equipment that claimed the trick. One of the better known Company that sold “oxygen” water is SITO(supposed to stand for Selangor International Trading Organiszation and claimed Selangor State Government owned some share in it). The key person and founder is a Dato Robert Ong from Rawang but his name is no longer in the business now. Their products are sold for RM2 to RM3 for a 350ml bottle and now concentrating mostly in the Indian market. Their Chinese and Malays market are long gone since a year or 2 ago. Their customers are made to believe that their water has more oxygen and able to give miraculous effects for the body. Water is H2O, how to put more O into it ? Anyone knows how much oxygen do we breathe into our body everyday at FOC ? Latest news is that this SITO Company is going to create new label to market under a new Company since the SITO name has already gone bad. Someone informed that this Company is owing alot of money(due to refunds) to ex-stockists but just refuse to pay them.
(Latest news, SITO shifted to another place and their MLM business has closed but planning to start again with a different name, beware !!)
Alkaline Products – Can anyone explain how it can work for the body ? The stomach’s gastric liquid is so acidic that water of any pH that goes through it will not make any difference.
5) Car Fuel Booster – K-Link, the famous scam MLM Company that sold the footpatch TAKARA, later the “cock-ring” and energy-card launched the patrol-saving pills last year. Got so hot that even grocery shops are selling for them. Recently many of these cars that used the pills are rushing to the workshops to clean the residual. Few months ago, another MLM Company launched a fuel booster gadget, claimed that saves up to 20% fuel, that is attached to the cigarette lighter. Started off well using binary plan but businese begin to fade now and most users find it NOT effective.
6) Perfumery Products(eg. Lampe Berger & Bel Air)(more details later). Lampe Berger is not so hot now in the neighbouring countries but there are still new victims every month in Malaysia. Must thanks to those who have contributed and kept the thread alive here in Kopitiam. Bel-Air have closed in Malaysia. LB is almost zero in Singapore. This perfumery product from France with over 100 years history is just bottles and fragrance(check the factory’s website) but the Company marketing them in Asia claimed “aromatheraphy” products. Hong Kong TVB aired a program that exposed their scam but their members claimed that HK’s TVB already apologised to them. Note that the biggest strenght in a MLM Scam is their members will go all way out to lie in order to defend for their Company. The reason is simple; these members fear that they will not be able to make their money back if the Company collapsed. Knowing that the Lampe Berger products are moving slow, they add a line of skincare products named Estebel, also claime to have over 100 years history in France.(Hardly anymore Chinese newcomers, they are now tapping the Malays in Malaysia)
7) Energy Products(eg. stone pendants, bracelets, mattress and pillows). They use all sorts of gimmicks and demonstration to make you into believing them. They will do some tricks and demo to prove that these products really produce energy BUT is there any tricks in their demo ? So what if there really produce energy; is it good or strong enough to help the body ? The effect is actually PLACEBO which I will elaborate in a new thread soon.(more details later)
8) Hi-Tech products(names like bio-tech, nano-tech that claimed millions of dollars of research involved, eg Bio-Young and XKL few years ago). Most of these will claimed a professor behind them(even with name and picture of a person) or used words like “U.S.A. formula”, “German Technology” or “Nanotechnology” and no further details(more details later). If you ask for more details like the professor or factory’s address, the answer will be “trade secrets”.
9) Investment Schemes – SWISSCASH is the King of all. Swisscash is nearly over now but there are many similar and smaller ones that are still on.(Now, it’s closed or stopped paying back members)
10) GoldQuest – This Company that claimed to be HK-based started with some non-value gold-plated coins that are sold for over RM2,000 have several names and changed products several times. QuestVacation, QuestNet, etc. They have several offices in Amcorp Mall, PJ and their key person(in fact, the owner), a Malaysian Indian was arrested last year in Indonesia for having involved in a very big Phillipines scam. Most of their overseas offices are closed or inactive but their Malaysia business is still hot, with some “energy” products.(Can someone please provide a link which showed the news that their boss was involved in a big scam in Philippines and was arrested in last year ?)
11) Numerology & Fortune telling – A Company named Visiber is using MLM to sell fortune telling classes using your birthday based on Numerology fortune telling. Prospects will be told that they need to buy a certain “number” between 1 to 9 in the form of pendants or bracelets made of stainless steel and sold from RM600 to RM20,000. Customers, or rather victims are mostly females from rural areas. Very hot in Penang now and a number of spin-off Companies have started.
12) MJ-Life – This Company boost of a very big background with many many years of history which is NOT true. Their people or associates may be long in business but nothing to do with their MLM launched recently. Why do I consider it a scam or bad ? New members are told to pay a sum of money(up to RM1000) and you get NOTHING for it. You only get a membership can entitle you to enjoy all sorts of special price and discounts when you have medical check-ups in their centres. They will claim all those check-ups cost more if done elsewhere. It’s not true. Only the naive and those new to medical check-ups will fall victims to them. Most members who paid the money ended up with nothing.
13) Seaweed Venture Scams – 1 such Company is located in Taman Maluri, Cheras. They will ask you to invest a few thousands ringgits for their venture of growing seaweeds in East Malaysia and you are guaranteed returns. To gain your confidence further, they will tell you your investment money is secured by “insurance” or “unit trusts” & “trustees”. When you ask for further documents to prove, they will give all sorts of excuses or just ignore you because they know they cannot get you. These Seaweed scam is one of the hottest now, warn all your friends about it before they are victimised.
14) MXM(previously MGM) – This is a master scam among the younger group, very successful 2 or 3 years ago but since there moved to their big 10-storey office at Phileo Damansara and changed name to MXM, their business dropped. They collect members RM3,000 to RM4,000 with credit card monthly easy payment and in return you get a hospital benefits insurance from Pacific Insurance worth only a few hundred RMs together with some you-don’t-need medical check-ups from their associate Company Pathlab. Also talk about fitness, lifestyles bullshit that is all worthless.
15) Gano Excel – This company from the north, a copycat of DXN selling Lingzhi capsules created a new Company called Gano iTouch to cash-in on the internet like e-Cosway after their Company went down the drain since the last 2 years, selling Linzhi and some no-value energy pendants and alkaline water gadgets. They provide free transport every weekend from KL to visit their Alor Star office.
16) NuLife(HK) – This Company started by some HK people has been in Malaysia for more than 10 years but they have flopped in HK and Malaysia due to bad management and a product scam making use of a prosecuted American named Dr Jeffrey Bland, found guilty of false products claim. Since this case in the US leaked out and many Malaysians found out that the real boss in HK is a Steven Tang(he cheated many Malaysians in another scheme about 20 years ago) their business went down all the way. Now they claim Malaysian partners cheated them and start a new Company in Malaysia. Watch out, this new Company will come out with some investment scheme idea that will get many to lose their money.
17) Arowana Fish Breeding, Oora from Germany, Biofuel(Kompleks Maluri) etc – These are some newer scams. Arowana fish venture ask you to invest some money and give you fixed return. Biofuel will tell you their Indonesia connections(just like Sunshine Empire before using Taiwan) & Oora from Germany(I never trust those cruel Germans) that market some bio-chips and a gadget that claims to give energy and therapeutic effects of accupunture, tai-chi, yoga, etc depending how you set the toy-like gadget, wear it on your body and you get the effect later. They could not explain or provide any demonstration to prove their effectiveness. Only doctors and papers claim that I will never trust. The health effect is actually PLACEBO, which I will elaborate in a different thread.
Lastly but not least, thank you for reading to the end and I hope you can come back for more details and updates or help to contribute for me to update. I hope to receive information of any scams so that I can share them here to protect others. Although most of those above-mentioned are marketed through direct-selling or MLM schemes, I will soon add non-MLM scams. Please contribute.
If you wish to send me any new information confidentially, you may email them to me at:
PS. Please pass this link to your friends if you find it helpful and thank you to those who contributed or e-mailed me with informations.