Commonly Asked Questions When Writing A Cheque

Meshio\'s Blank Maybank Cheque

Question (Q): Forty or Fourty?
Answer (A): Forty.

Q: Ten Cent or Ten Cents?
A: Ten Cents.

Q: Thirty or thirthy?
A: Thirty.

Q: Can I write sen instead of cent?
A: Yes.

Q: Is it cheque or check?
A: “Cheque” if you are following the Brits, “Check” if you are following the Yankees.

Q: Will my unsigned cheque be used?
A: Yes, if that person can forge your signature.

Q: How much does each leaflet of cheque cost me?
A: 15 sen each.

Q: Can I use Chinese characters when quoting the figures in my cheque?
A: Yes, in most banks, Chinese characters is valid and recognized.

Q: Is it a good practice to pre-signed unused cheques?
A: Never, unless you really have to.

Q: What’s a bounced cheque?
A: That’s when you issue a cheque without sufficient fund in your bank account. Avoid issuing bounce cheques to stay in the banker’s good books.

Got anything to add?

2008-05-05T01:24:17+00:00 May 5th, 2008|Malaysia Financial News|20 Comments

20 Comments

1. Pin May 7, 2008 at 5:12 pm - Reply

To get cash, write your name on the check. Cash check is accepted in the bank where you opened your account.

Keep your figures close to each other and leaving no gap. Some people believe that empty space allows hacker to fill in more zero behind :)

2. Carson Ding May 9, 2008 at 2:48 pm - Reply

A cheque (yes, i follow the Brits haha) has an expiry date… emmm is it 6 months from the date issued?

3. lobak May 13, 2008 at 8:27 am - Reply

Never write a cheque using someone else’s pen, they could easily swap the ink to water-based erasable ink. This will allow them to erase the amount while keeping your signature, then change to whatever amount they desire.

4. yowchuan May 13, 2008 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Pin, I wonder if you can try writing the cheques with dashes in between the words like:
    One-hundred-seventy-five-and-sixty-nine-sen-only

Carson, yup, that’s quite important, never leave the cheque in the drawer too long…

Lobak, I thought that only happens in the movie. I guess you can never be too careful!

5. agip June 27, 2008 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Can we print the figure using printer?

6. yowchuan August 5, 2008 at 10:42 am - Reply

By the way, do check out this cool online cheque tool:

7. alan tan October 22, 2009 at 11:34 am - Reply

it show error when access wang tool:
    Not Found

The requested URL /helper_web.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

8. Yowchuan Lee October 22, 2009 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Alan, try this link instead:

I think Siak Hooi (the webmaster) must have changed the structure of his website.

9. Ben August 18, 2010 at 6:51 am - Reply

Amount is RM103, 800.
    Is it One Hundred And Three? Or is it One Hundred Three Thousand?

• yowchuan July 16, 2011 at 8:49 am - Reply

One Hundred Three Thousand and Eight Hundred Only. And Ben, don’t forget to write my name correctly :-)

10. Ben August 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Amount is RM103, 800.
    Is it One Hundred And Three? Or is it One Hundred Three Thousand?

11. Yow Chuan August 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Ben, the rule I always use is to have the ‘and’ at the last numeric description.

So, in your case, it will be ‘One hundred three thousand and eight hundred only’.

Adding too many and’s can be confusing.

12. Yow Chuan August 20, 2010 at 2:03 am - Reply

Adding too many and’s can be confusing.

13. Nadia July 15, 2011 at 4:23 am - Reply

if my cheque amount is $348.80, can i write Three Hundred Forty Eight and Eighty Only, without cents? is it accepted?

• yowchuan July 16, 2011 at 8:48 am - Reply

It should be accepted if the numeric section is written correctly. Usually, it’s better to include the word ‘sen’ or ‘cents’ to avoid ambiguity.

14. Ritashini November 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm - Reply

can i write Rm5,100 as five thousand one hundred only?

• Yowchuan November 8, 2011 at 7:08 pm - Reply

I shouldn’t think that’s a problem. Alternatively it could be written as ‘Five thousand and one hundred only’. Another important part is to make sure the figures are written without any ways to add anything in between.

Some would cross a vertical line before the decimals and have the decimals written above two x’s, if you know what I mean.

15. Jni_wong May 31, 2012 at 11:28 pm - Reply

$110.50 is it One Hundred Ten And Fifty Only?

• yowchuan June 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm - Reply

That’s correct. I would also add One Hundred Ten and Fifty Sen Only.

16. lee June 2, 2016 at 5:39 pm - Reply

issue cheque with 3 decimal can be accepted by bank?