Western Union Withdrawals in Malaysia

Western Union Withdrawals
Here are the 5 places that allows for Western Union withdrawals in Malaysia, listed in accordance to their effectiveness:

1) CIMB Bank

2) Public Bank

3) RHB Bank

4) Bank Rakyat

5) POS Malaysia Berhad

2008-10-05T10:44:10+00:00 April 11th, 2008|Productivity, Technology|14 Comments

14 Comments

1. blackidea February 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm - Reply

if in indonesian, we can do it through the post office and bank a few. but the most easily through the post office

2. Paul Tan April 10, 2009 at 8:27 pm - Reply

How do you measure the “effectiveness” which you are ranking them by?

3. yowchuan April 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm - Reply

Paul bro, I'm using a very primitive yardstick…by measuring the time queued and time I need to wait after submitting the completed form to the teller.

My experience with CIMB branches has been most pleasant. The other banks, sometimes they looked as if I filled up the wrong form and had to scurry from one end to another trying to verify my details…

4. Adam September 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm - Reply

They guy at CIMB Curve, was rude, cold and unhelpful. I was completely broke and he was not letting me collect my money because the sender did not put my middle name. he told me to tell the sender to go back and fix it, which was not possible,for another few days. Yet, I did have the proper address and MTCN Control Number! As it turned out the form the sender used in Korea, doesn’t have a field for the middle name! This completely ruined my day, and I missed an appointment. I ended up jumping on teh free shuttle to Kelana Jaya LRT, then use the last credit on my touch’n’go card, and i use the Western Union at BSN bank at Ampang Park. If she was going to ask for middle name, i was going to have a nervous breakdown, but it all went smoothly.

5. yowchuan September 3, 2010 at 3:58 pm - Reply

It can be quite confusing when it comes to middle names, first names and last names. Some tellers would make a big fuss out of it, but my experience is it usually got sorted out after some senior staff intervenes.

One classic example I had with Public Bank was the Receiving Money form had a field for the Sender’s ‘First Name’ and ‘Last Name’. And in my case, the sender was Google Inc, and there’s no way I could have known if Google Inc was the last name or the first name, since it’s a name of a corporation. And I’d to wait for about 15 minutes before it could be resolved, because I’ve filled up Google Inc in the ‘First Name’ field, and the teller insist that Google Inc is the last name.

I could have just save the trouble by filling up a new form though.

6. Choon Aun Toh December 9, 2010 at 5:51 am - Reply

I find that banks that handle Western Union in Malaysia are often offline. One often have to go back a couple of times over many days to be able to find one that in online.

I wonder if any of you good folks also have that problem?

• yowchuan December 9, 2010 at 9:56 am - Reply

Yeah, the least they could do is to put a notice over the WU counter saying ‘Western Union is Offline’.

I had an experience after waiting in line for half an hour, only to be told it was offline…

• Francomigz January 31, 2011 at 8:35 am - Reply

This is really true, banks should post a sign outside that wester union is OFFLINE, i queued like for almost an hour only to be told the service is offline.

7. Linda March 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Do we the receiver party have to pay transfer charges to enable us to receive the payment sent?

• yowchuan March 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm - Reply

Nope, I don’t think so. So far, my experience is that the Senders are the ones that need to pay for the transaction fees.

8. FA May 10, 2011 at 9:53 pm - Reply

hello, I’m still new here, for WU. I’ve received an email from someone that asked me to go to the nearest WU center to claim the money he was transferred to me…my question is, is it true? I mean how to know either it’s true or not? If YES, what to do next? Thanks (.=

9. Anne Alexis February 9, 2012 at 11:18 am - Reply

im a philipina.i have money from canada,my husband give to me the complet name and address and the mtcn no.but i go towestern union the counter said to me the no.not much found…..the counter said to me ask the sender if conferm the no is correct but my husband told all no.is correct…..almost 5 days already i didnt get my money…..

10. malaysian March 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm - Reply

WU toll free line say only need name,MTCN & sender name but when you are at the counter, WU-Pride Express Kajang – requested for full address,relationship of the sender and so on,including asking the receiver’s employer details,don’t understand why there is double standard????

11. Toby July 27, 2017 at 5:44 pm - Reply

I have spoken to over 20 agents for Westerm Union in KL. They claim that WU is offline over 50% of the time and report tgat it has remained down for stretches of 6 days. I have never experienced this issue in other countries and I have relied on WU for a long time. It seems on the face of things that this offline status is tantamount to illegal money holding. What ever it is, it is incredibly frustrating.