Photos from 10th November Bersih Rally

Didn’t get much of a shot, as I was busy running around avoiding tear gas and pepper water at Masjid Jamek.

Here are some quick snapshots.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-01.jpg
At 1 pm, about 2 hours before the Rally begins, helicopters are seen rounding the Dataran Merdeka area. Alot of people has already started gathering around the LRT Stations. The gloomy sky and impending dark clouds marks the beginning of a rather nasty water spraying and smoky affair later on.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-02.jpg
Business must be exceptionally good for Mc Donald’s today. Burger King which is located opposite, was seen closing down their iron-grills to avoid any “potential hazard” to their store front.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-03.jpg
This is after the meeting with the Agong, where everyone’s heading to the National Mosque for their prayers.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-04.jpg
Causing massive jam along the way.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-05.jpg
This Uncle Photographer must be having a good field day!

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-06.jpg
This young-little gal was waving her “symbolic” yellow toy at us when passing by the long stretch of yellow crowd.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-07.jpg
The Yellow People is everywhere in every corner of the City, under the bridge, up the bridge and in back alleys…LUAS COVERAGE!

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-08.jpg
The road heading towards Dataran Merdeka, from afar you can see the Police standing in line.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-09.jpg
A closer look at the police line ups. I wonder why they are looking so stern and so stiffed-up. Come on… the walk is already over, and everyone’s going home for some hot tea.

bersih-rally-10-november-2007-11.jpg
I see…they realized they are on camera, no wonder the photogenic-look.

Here’s a few video clips I managed to capture during the eventful afternoon.

Peaceful protesters are sprayed with “chemical liquid” and at least 6 tear gas during the stand-off at Masjid Jamek.

Video shows loyal rakyats awaiting for the memorandum of Electoral Reform to be submitted.

That’s all from my K750i. A few videos will be uploaded after my friend transferred them into the laptop.

I was rather disappointed when the police started spraying water on the peaceful crowd, and adding a few more tear gas (at least 6-7 of them) into the crowd. Yours truly was caught in one of the tear gas episode and ran away from the scene, crying like a baby…lol. A kind police man advised me to was the face with rain water to clean up the wasabi-effect.

Glad everything went on smoothly and ended with no blood stain on anyone’s shirt.

A true-Malaysian would be very moved by this thread (because I’m)…

2007-11-11T04:56:57+00:00 November 10th, 2007|Daily Observations|8 Comments

8 Comments

1. Chen Yong November 10, 2007 at 10:42 am - Reply

I was lucky to avoid the gas and cannon cos I was in pasar seni area. Let’s hope this gathering will make a change to M’sia.

2. Kitkat November 10, 2007 at 4:49 pm - Reply

Wow… did the water cannon hurt? You are brave!

3. Gormel November 11, 2007 at 3:15 am - Reply

Nobody mentioned DiGi? Ahahaha

DiGi should have sent 10,000 more DiGi Yellow Coverage Fellows (the fit muscular ones in the recent ad, not the fat creepy ones). What the hell, right, the government is forcing them to sell off chunks of their shares in a company they put so much hard work (and only to certain well-placed Bumis).

4. amde sidik November 11, 2007 at 3:43 am - Reply

Great you people, continue doing things which are good for the country and its people

5. yowchuan November 11, 2007 at 7:51 am - Reply

Chen Yong, you were there too!? Haha…just too many people in the crowd.

Kitkat , nope, you don’t get hurt when sprayed by the water cannon. It’s the content of the water canon, the chemical-laced water that hurts the skin, not unlike applying salt on your fresh cut wounds Yes, there were thousand of brave people out there that afternoon, and some friends even brought their toddlers along (wearing yellow also).

Amde, you can help out too by spreading the truths about the Rally, which was never meant to be chaotic and messy, as it’s now being portrayed in the mass media.

6. narrowband November 12, 2007 at 2:35 am - Reply

“Once and for all”… I’m skeptical. But at least this made it into the media. Let’s see what the King will say/do about it. Shutterbugs everywhere had planned to go and have a ‘field day’ as well – I heard from a friend. They were said to be prepared with plastic bags to shield their equipments in case there were sprayed with water.

I’m glad you met a good and kind police man.

7. Mr. Bear November 14, 2007 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Cute. We should have a regular weekend rally. Next topic, inflation.

But this rally shows the desperation of the people and respect to the rulers and the royal, and that they still have a role in the country. If all goes well, our royal will have the respect of the people just as Thailand.

8. […] later, I don’t have to attend Bersih 55.0. Besides, I’d written my account for both Bersih 1.0 and Bersih 2.0. So, to continue the tradition, here goes the 3rd […]